Committing to equity and excellence
The power of integrating instructional materials and professional learning
July 19-22, 2018 · Portland, OR
Each year, schools and districts make decisions about the adoption of curriculum and instructional materials. However, often the processes and professional learning structures to ensure their effective implementation aren’t adequately addressed. As a result, new curricula and instructional materials may not necessarily lead to the results intended for students.
Schools and school systems prioritize equity and excellence when they ensure all students have access to both effective teaching and meaningful classroom resources aligned to rigorous student standards. This Institute will help educators strengthen their capacity to reach all students by building strong connections among curriculum, high-quality instructional materials including Open Educational Resources, and standards-based professional learning.
Deputy Executive Director
Founding Executive Director
Program Director, Leadership and Teaching to Advance Learning
Carnegie Corporation of New York
Vice President, PreK-12 Policy, Research, and Practice
Who should attend
- Central office administrators
- Policymakers and decision makers
- Teacher leaders/Coaches
- School-based teams
- Principals/Assistant principals
- Technical assistance providers
- Develop the case for advancing equity and excellence by investing in gold standard curriculum and standards-based professional learning.
- Acquire frameworks, research, and terminology to advance your organization toward becoming a learning system.
- Gain deeper understanding of the key attributes of professional learning for effective curriculum and instructional materials implementation.
- Learn processes involved in assessing, selecting, and adapting excellent curriculum materials to benefit both teachers and students.
- Consider the conditions, responsibilities, and practices that make curriculum accessible to all educators and students.
Hotel and travel
The Hilton Portland Downtown serves as meetings central this year. The stunning hotel offers a beautiful backdrop for learning and reflection. The Portland area offers world-class amenities and attractions, yet another reason to make the trip. Book your hotel today – special group rates are available now!
Engage With Us
What others are saying
The institute was the best professional development activity I have ever engaged in. The atmosphere created was very conducive to learning.
I have strategies and supports to more effectively lead the change that is happening in my state and my region. I feel prepared to tackle complex issues with facilitation more effectively.