Committing to Equity and Excellence: The Power of Integrating Instructional Materials and Professional Learning
Each year, schools and districts make decisions about the adoption of curriculum and instructional materials. However, often the processes and professional learning structures to ensure their effective implementation aren’t adequately addressed. As a result, new curricula and instructional materials may not necessarily lead to the results intended for students.
Schools and school systems prioritize equity and excellence when they ensure all students have access to both effective teaching and meaningful classroom resources aligned to rigorous student standards. The Institute will help educators strengthen their capacity to reach all students by building strong connections among curriculum, high-quality instructional materials including Open Educational Resources, and standards-based professional learning.
Attend the full 4-day Institute
- Deepen understandings about the importance of institutionalizing a coherent and aligned curriculum;
- Investigate effective professional learning’s role in implementing high-quality curricula and instructional materials;
- Understand how equity outcomes require critical connections between effective teaching, professional learning, and curriculum resources;
- Learn practical processes for identifying, evaluating, selecting, and implementing curriculum materials in different subject areas; and
- Explore how to leverage teacher learning teams to tie it all together.
Attendees may choose to attend the full four-day event or select sessions individually or in combination. Read the session selections here.
- Hear from curriculum experts who are supporting districts that have transformed instruction and teaching.
- Leave with a professional learning plan that will change teaching and learning in your system.
The institute was the best professional development activity I have ever engaged in. The atmosphere created was very conducive to learning.— Chanda Telleen, Educational Consultant
Thursday, July 19
8:30 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.
- Expanding awareness: Advancing equity and excellence through professional learning tied to curriculum implementation
Learning Forward, EdReports, UnboundEd, Carnegie Corporation of New York
(An in-depth exploration into why this topic is essential.)
Friday-Saturday, July 20-21: Choose one of these five sessions
8:30 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.
- Focusing on What Matters: High-Quality Instructional Materials and Aligned Professional Development (K-8 ELA focus)
- Making Science a Core Subject: Building Capacity to Implement the NGSS
BSCS Science Learning
- Ensuring Equitable Mathematics Instruction: Understanding the Standards and Shifts in Secondary Mathematics
- Adopting Open Educational Practice to Improve Literacy-Based Curriculum at the Secondary School Level
- Strengthening Assessment Literacy to Increase Student Achievement
Sunday, July 22
8:30 a.m. – 3:00 p.m.
- Pulling it Together: Team Learning Cycles and High-Quality Instructional Materials Strengthen Learning
(Leverage your PLCs to get the most out of effective materials.)
Apologies, but no entries were found.
Who should attend
- District and school leaders responsible for the design, selection and implementation of college- and career-ready standards, professional learning, curriculum and instructional materials.
- Instructional coaches and teacher leaders who support teacher teams and PLCs to strengthen their capacity to teach all children.
- Teacher teams tasked with leveraging professional collaboration, curriculum study, lesson design, and assessments to ensure success for every student.
Dates and location
July 19 – 22, 2018
Hilton Portland & Executive Tower
921 SW 6th Avenue
Portland, OR 97204